Week 2, Part 1

Social media is a great tool for business.  Facebook, Twitter, LinkdIn, Instagram, YouTube are all sites
that are used by individuals for fun and by businesses for marketing purposes.  In some cases the two
worlds collide, for example when the friend you knew from high school starts promoting her pyramid
scheme business on her social media accounts. Scentsy anyone? Nail decals perhaps? Maybe
essential oils are your thing? I believe that social media started as a way for people to connect and
communicate, and business marketing followed.


All social media can be used for personal as well as business purposes.  Instagram seems better suited
for personal use, although instagram now runs business ads in your feed.  In my opinion they feel out of
place, intrusive almost. I’m trying to scroll pics of friends and family, maybe catch a funny meme and
bam, I’m hit with an ad.  It annoys me to be honest.


Facebook has grown into such a huge networking site that business use feels right at home.  As the
book mentioned, Facebook can even be helpful when looking for a service. If your friends “liked” a
business, maybe you feel comfortable using the same company.  On the personal side, Facebook
seems to be the #1 site for people to keep in touch with each other.


I have limited experience with LinkdIn, this site is geared toward professional connections and
networking.  I only recently made a profile here and started building my connections. There is
advertising here, but for things like professional development.  This site seems to be a promising
avenue for job searching as well. I don't have vast knowledge of Twitter, however my impression is
that it started as a way for news to be quickly communicated in brief summaries.  However, this feels
like a Facebook situation where its gotten so big there is room and reason for both personal and
business use.


YouTube, along with instagram, has created the social media influencer.  Young entrepreneurs flock
to YouTube to get themselves out there. They vlog their daily routines, shopping hauls, promote
brands, and their own products if they have them.  YouTube is another site that I feel has evolved
from a site for people to post “funny videos” into a place where there is money to be made based on
the number of followers, views and interactions one has.

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa ~ I agree that Facebook is a great business site, but it also has it's personal use as well. I'm starting to get more in to YouTube. The possibilities seem endless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa ~ I agree that Facebook is a great business site, but it also has it's personal use as well. I'm starting to get more in to YouTube. The possibilities seem endless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lisa,

    I agree that facebook is an amazing tool for business side, but I think the core values of individual creators or personal use has gone down on that app itself. It seems like most people are geared towards youtube and Instagram right now because of the perfect balance of personal use and business

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lisa. The Pyramid scheme makes me laugh. I had a friend from High school post that everyday. She got blocked. I definitely think social media is a great place for certain businesses. Pyramid schemes get you blocked. If you are selling a lifestyle like the FYRE festival, I definitely think social media is your best friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 16; post 1

Week 10, post 1